SailNet Community - View Single Post - Considering a Hunter 27 as a first boat on Lake Michigan
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2012

Hippchekk is on a distinguished road
Considering a Hunter 27 as a first boat on Lake Michigan

We are considering an early 70s Hunter 27 as a first boat to be used out on Lake Michigan near Chicago/Indiana. Because I am unfamiliar with Sail boats and worse yet older ones, I am hoping there might be a few good people to offer some suggestions on what to inspect when viewing a prospective boat other than the obvious soft spots, thru hulls, and standing water. I have done a decent amuont of reading as far as checking the mast step plate area, and perhaps cracking where the stanchions are but not much besides that. I know that its customary for owners to slam all other boats besides the manufacturer of their own but hopefully I can find even a few willing to offer their honest opinion.
This would be for Day Sailing and ocasional weekend overnight on Lake Michigan. Something solid and or stable, easy to learn and handle. Thanks all for reading and honest un-biased (if thats possible) opinion.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook