SailNet Community - View Single Post - Diesel-electric hybrid
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2012

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
The displacement at cruise weight will only be 8500~9000 lbs, so electric propulsion will only need to be in the 8~12Kw range. I hope to not even use the diesel much, but as a cruiser I want the option of running from a storm for days, not hours. The diesel gen set will output DC for charging only, because it would be much heavier (and redundant) for it to be a typical 120/240 VAC 60 Hertz unit when a 48 volt input inverter is part of the system. A hybrid system such as this has a lot of advantages.

1) weight placement flexible for better balance and trim
2) The low rpm torque capabilities of an electric motor for tight quarter maneuvering is sweet.
3) The weight is an even wash with the components I've sourced.
4) I've always wanted a fully electric galley, from the induction cook top all the way to the 1500 watt rail mounted BBQ.
5) Even the dinghy will be electric, never have been a fan of gasoline and propane.
6) I have a personal reason too, the DC diesel gen set can be fueled with renewable fuels, and after working in the oil industry, I have a strong disdain for them and their product.

So, I'm doing it, no need to try and talk me out of it. Is there anyone on the forum who has also converted over to diesel-electric hybrid drive?
That's a good point. The ability to heat water, power winches, make water, heck even use an electric blanket. All while carrying only one kind of fuel.
I would definitely sacrifice a little power to be able to have the convenience of all the extras.
Plus, I bet it would be a lot easier and less trouble to maintain or replace a small generator rather than an inboard diesel.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook