SailNet Community - View Single Post - Diesel-electric hybrid
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2012

deckofficer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmo View Post
Hey deckofficer, I've been around boats for 40 years and reading about the system that you are describing, it seems to me that you will be in a world of hurt in the short run. When it comes to boats I firmly believe in the KISS method. You're sitting in a fiberglass tub surrounded by saltwater and its always humid with a fog of salt. When it comes to boats Murphy was absolutely right. What's more if you're in a sailboat, sail the damned thing, that's how you get better at it. Installing complicated systems in a boat takes you away from what you should be doing with it.....sailing. I owned a J24 for nine years and I think we used the kicker three times and then only because we had to.

Anyway, good luck with all that....I think you'll need it.
I'd much rather sail too. The systems are not complicated, just different. This is for a PDQ 36, that isn't the LRC, but lets say it is the LRC. (3) diesels, (2) for propulsion when needed, and all the through hulls for that, one for running high wattage AC appliances at 120/240 60 cycle. All I am doing by going with the non LRC model is swapping (2) Yamaha 9.9 gasser outboards with electric outboards, and instead of having a heavy gen set for AC, going to a much lighter gen set for DC only to charge the propulsion/house batteries as they need it. I hope to not even run the DC gen set much, with solar panels and regen from either motor if left in the down position while under sail.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook