SailNet Community - View Single Post - US 22 Project
Thread: US 22 Project
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2012

jcase12 is on a distinguished road
US 22 Project

I have recently acquired a US 22 that in need of allot of work. I have begun the process of tracking down (and removing) the rot. I have hauled the boat out and it is now on stands at my house. The problems so far appear to be constrained to the interior, which is good! The deck is strong and solid but I will be rebedding all of the fittings soon which will give me the chance to check it more throughly.
I know these boat have a bad rep. but it was designed by Gary Mull and has a very well thought out design. Some of the implementation of this design by US Yachts (Bayliner) has proven to be lacking no doubt to lower building cost and increase margins. All of these shortcomings appear to be confined to the interior fitting of the ship which, by no suprise, is all coming out due to the rot. This process is nearly finished and the raw hull is very strong and shows no voids or rot. I was able to do a thermal image to test this (doing thermal imaging research has its advantages, well at least one!) The main hull seems to be of solid fiberglass with coring used in some key areas (keel and what not).
My questions are;
Does anyone have any info on the boats? It as proving hard to find!

The bulkheads that were in the boat (rotten near the bottom) were plywood and were NOT expoxied into the hull at all they were mearly bolted in several places.
I am wondering if when I replace Bulkheads would be ok to fillet them in with west systems and some glass to make them stronger?
Also what material should I use? Meranti (or similar marine ply) or one of the alternative foam based materials out there?

The mast stays are the type that have a piece of flat bar that goes through the deck and bolts to the bulkheads asked about above.
Should I replace these with a single piece unit with a chainplate to eliminate the potential for a leak through the deck? I can still tie the chain plate into the bulkhead for the strength by redesigning the backing plate to a "L" shape.

Finally...I would appreciate any advice about rebuilding a sailboat?!!!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook