SailNet Community - View Single Post - Diesel-electric hybrid
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2012

Telesail is on a distinguished road
Hybrids and hating oil companies

"hate" is a strong word but, using it is the same way as deckofficer, I hate X Factor but still find myself drawn to the train-wreck-slowly-unfolding nature of the show.

Anyhow, he did not say he hates oil, probably just the way in which companies active in that business conduct themselves. I doubt it is a rationally thought through opinion so much as a visceral sense that helps justify an otherwise admirable plan to test the limits of providing power to a sailboat.

I have a friend who is trying what deckofficer proposes and will ask for some feedback on his success. I do know that he found the regen to cut into performance more than he expected, because instead of the propeller spinning free, it was dragging with resistance - he reckoned he lost 2 kts. May be worth exploring whether regen through your motor is more of a parasitic load than a wind generator up above - which is what I think he ended up with.

400 watts of solar panels was way too expensive but I recall that he did not have a huge capacity to charge so solar might have worked if it was cheaper (and no parasitic load). The main benefit was the efficiency of the generator operating at optimum versus a diesel operating outside its efficient range.

I will post anything else I find out, or better still, persuade him to join sailnet if he is not already a member - I am new to this "social media" thing so coming to sailnet late in my sailing life (although hopefully with more life left in me than a new lithium ion pack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook