SailNet Community - View Single Post - Diesel-electric hybrid
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2012

deckofficer is on a distinguished road
44.8" X 7.17" X 10.98" 196.8 lbs. 9.2 Kw/hr 48 volt bank. I come by my attitude towards oil companies honestly, I used to work for them. I will have lots of solar since China has entered the market and driven the cost down to $1.13 per watt from the $5+ per watt I last paid.

As to drag, the water medium does not care if your using energy for propulsion or receiving energy from being propelled by your sails. The folks that are using diesel-electric drive just run the motors to match what they calculated their boat speed to be for the conditions. Nice thing about doing that, you are assured of your ETA to anchorage, and depending on if you under estimated or over estimated, your battery bank will have less or more SOC when you arrive. Plus, you have the option as you near landfall, if you know you will be on the hook for awhile, just back the pots down, induce more drag, and fully top off the battery bank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deckofficer; 02-20-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook