SailNet Community - View Single Post - Laguna Windrose 18 Weight (re axle
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2012

Amateur_Expert is on a distinguished road
Thanks Lake. I'm with you on American Made. Do you know if Redneck Trailer would use Chinese axles? They are nationwide but we have one here in Wichita. It seems they may have what I need for $250 with a drop center, galvanized 3500#.

Using a weld shop was my first idea but they are thinking $150 and they even recommend a new one was the best way to go. I also want it to run true.

Thanks for the reply Olson.
My only concern is indeed on weight. Trailer shop tells me that since I have a 5-bolt hub that there is no way it's more that 3500#. I'm hoping that's right. Since you have to include the trailer weight in the calculations I hear and I know my keel is 440#, and the trailer is a guess-timate at at least a 1000#... so would I be safe to assume the boat itself weighs no more than 2000# is the question I guess.

With your input on the weight of the other ones I would say I'm safe with a 3500# axle.

Also I seem some guys say that changing the axle position makes it sit up higher. Plus I also hear that you have to weld new spring seats since you cannot "flip" the axle over - never thought about that.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook