SailNet Community - View Single Post - Honda generator(s) in lieu of running auxiliary
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2000 View Post
I am a complete newbie. I know very little about boats or sailing, but I believe I would like to give it a try. I am a very considerate person in a camp site, and would be so on the water. It is a resource we all share and I would definitely put out a little extra cash and effort to get a quiet generator. If the diesel water cooled generator is the norm on the water, then that is what I would get. I do have knowledge of the Honda 2000 gens on land, and compared to many others it is quiet, but it may not be quiet compared to the diesel gens on the water. Looks like I have a lot more to learn about sailing than working the canvas.
Welcome aboard, friend. We are all learning on the water, all the time.

Most boats that have gensets, have them installed, just like their main engine. They are often in a locker somewhere aboard and are therefore cooled by raw water being pumped in from below the waterline and then mixed with the exhaust and dumped back overboard. Since diesel is very popular for the main engine, it is preferred to use the same supply for the generator. Diesel, by the way, is generally preferred on a boat as the fumes are not very flamable, nor does the exhaust create as much carbon monoxide.

If your boat does not have room for a genset locker, these gas portables become an option.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook