SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bareboat charter companies in the BVI
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2006

talaria is on a distinguished road
BVI bareboat charter

I would have to agree with Ken regarding Conch being a good value. We chartered with them in 2003 and found the boat to be a good value. We are trying to work out our schedule so we can charter this fall and plan to charter with Conch again.

They may not have to newest boats but they are certainly clean and serviceable. I would prefer to spend the money on restaurants and scuba diving anyway.

Related to BVI chartering.
Value is one thing I can't say about the ridiculous mooring ball prices. On our trip in 2003 we managed to avoid them for nearly the entire trip. On prior trips to 2003 we never used a mooring ball. I have always been careful where I anchor and I understand the concerns about the coral as we all should be. So let's not get started on that as I have heard it all.

First, if the idea is to get everyone on a mooring ball they need to provide more of them. Second, that goal, if it is one of their goals and not just profit, does not justify charging excessive fees and it does not help get people to not anchor. I like the convenience of a mooring ball but for those of us that can anchor and are not afraid to anchor we will just find an appropriate spot and drop the hook as long it is legal and as long as unreasonable fees are charged. Finally, $15.00 is the maximum that should be allowed.

Last point, beaches in the BVI are PUBLIC so don't let anyone, as in hotel staff, etc., tell you to move.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook