Thread: US 22 Project
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcase12 View Post
My questions are;
Does anyone have any info on the boats? It as proving hard to find!
There's a Bayliner owners site on the web somewhere but I don't have a link - might be under Buccaneer.

Quote:
The bulkheads that were in the boat (rotten near the bottom) were plywood and were NOT expoxied into the hull at all they were mearly bolted in several places. I am wondering if when I replace Bulkheads would be ok to fillet them in with west systems and some glass to make them stronger?
Also what material should I use? Meranti (or similar marine ply) or one of the alternative foam based materials out there?
Definitely tab them fully. I'd use the bolts as well since tabbing has been known to pull loose from plywood. If you want to spend a LOT, marine ply is nice but not necessary in this case IMHO - ordinary fir G2S exterior ply will be fine. Seal all the edges with epoxy after they are cut to shape. Taper the tabbing area of the ply a bit, to expose the layers a bit so the tabbing doesn't only bond with the surface layer. Face it with teak veneer or laminate AFTER you have the bulkhead tabbed in place so it can cover the tabbing - makes a very neat job.

Quote:
The mast stays are the type that have a piece of flat bar that goes through the deck and bolts to the bulkheads asked about above.
Should I replace these with a single piece unit with a chainplate to eliminate the potential for a leak through the deck? I can still tie the chain plate into the bulkhead for the strength by redesigning the backing plate to a "L" shape.
Don't really understand this for sure - I would just re-use the stock pieces, provided they are in good shape. If they show signs of wear or crevice corrosion, just remake them in kind.

Quote:
Finally...I would appreciate any advice about rebuilding a sailboat?
Buy a copy of "This Old Boat" and Casey's other book - can't remember the name - it's a compilation of several smaller, specialized topic books he wrote.

IGNORE his "gasket" method for sealing deck hardware - use the potting and countersink method with butyl tape you will find detailed on SailNet (somewhere )

Track down a local consignment shop that handles boat gear and check it often for bargains.

Watch Craigslist etc. routinely for other bargains.

Have fun. We'll be here when you have questions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook