SailNet Community - View Single Post - Having paying passengers - International
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
This is clearly a for hire situation, to operate in US waters the Captain would need a US mariners license.
Not so. If the master's license meets the requirements of the flag country I believe all is well. There are terms of reciprocity in International Maritime Organization (IMO is a UN agency) agreements. I suspect but don't know that some countries have laws that allow for additional reciprocity. For example, a Liberian-flagged ship might be owned by a German company, chartered to a US company with French-licensed officers and a Filipino crew.

Many countries including the US have additional requirements specifically intended to protect domestic industries. In the US, the Jones Act requires that cargo or passengers carried from one US port to another US port be aboard a US flagged vessel. The linked example earlier in this thread referred to this requirement when noting that they don't take crew/passengers between US ports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanH View Post
In international waters, I don't suspect licences apply. I still haven't found any solid information to back that up.
For a US flagged vessel you must comply with US requirements regardless of where you are, including international waters. I suspect most countries are similar and in fact the requirement may be codified by the IMO.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook