SailNet Community - View Single Post - the inevitable slow death of sailing journalism - does it matter
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
By and large, I think magazines eff it up when they try to go digital, because they try to provide a digital magazine. They cannibalize their subscription and newsstand sales which decimates the advertising base, and thins out the mag which further hacks at the readership while they fumble along trying to figure out how to generate income from free content until the thing becomes irrelevant and goes poof.

There are only three magazines that I subscribe to: Wooden Boat, Good Old Boat and Small Craft Advisor.
Why?

Because I freakin' have to!!

They have a web presence as an adjunct to their paper presence, offering value- added info rather than regurgitation of what is in print. Very clever, actually- the website acts as a teaser for the mag, and the mag acts as a teaser for the site, driving subscribers and browsers and ad dollars in both directions.

A brilliant combination that seems to work well.

We are seeing publishing undergoing a seismic shift right now- publishing houses are becoming less and less relevant with the explosive growth of e-readers and e-publishing, and the publishing business, for better or worse is becoming less elitist and more accessible. Anyone can publish a book today for pennies...
...and it shows. There is some truly horrible stuff out there.

I think we will see some major changes in periodical distribution over the next 5 years as mags and newspapers and the publishing houses get a handle on e-readers and the possibilities.

I have a mildly successful boat blog, that thous, er, hund, er, nearly dozens seem to enjoy. It's filled with lots of good information, some average story telling and some truly exceptional lying...

Like thousands of other blogs out there, some better, many, many, worse, all free.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook