SailNet Community - View Single Post - Having paying passengers - International
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012

Never2late is on a distinguished road
Well presently I own a sport fishing boat and am looking to go over to sail because of high fuel cost. I've done the payed crew thing for a fishing trip from Louisiana down to Bimini were just my friends and I cover cost. I have to say the whole thing was a disaster. 2 of the 4 crew thought because they were on the boat that they were going to be treated like friends and share in the fishing. And Ever since then I've given a choice to either be payed and work or share the cost and have fun.There 's no middle ground here as I see it. Bottom line trips cost. If you want to have fun it will cost and as I told before I don't presently own a sail I have power but it seems to me that $30 a day is a very low sum to spend time Paradise. As for what I take from reading the law even if a boat owner tells up front that crew member has to pay it will be up to that person as to agree or decline. I've been thinking of joining a boat recently just to see if switching to sail would work for me and see nothing wrong with paying my share.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook