SailNet Community - View Single Post - the inevitable slow death of sailing journalism - does it matter
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Print media has been on the wane for many years. Two decades ago I was writing for 25 different publications and making a darned good living. Today, the vast majority of the magazines are either out of business, or scaled down to the point where they should be out of business. Newspapers are in the same fix, most either purchased by a major conglomerate or just so thin you no longer have enough paper to light the woodstove.

The last publication I wrote for, Noreaster Magazine, went under just over a year ago. The reason behind their untimely demise, and the demise of most others, was a lack of advertisers. Yep, the supporting, allied businesses have taken a bad hit in this economy and boat sales, particularly sailboat sales, have been down the toilet for more than a decade.

I'm sure a few magazines will survive for at least another decade, but their days are limited. I'm equally confident that by 2020 most of the wold's population will be walking around with an I-Pad type of device and an electronic gizmo attached to their ear. That will be their only form of communication.

All the best,

Gary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook