SailNet Community - View Single Post - the inevitable slow death of sailing journalism - does it matter
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012

jimmalkin is on a distinguished road
I spent many years earning my "crust" in publishing and media. As mentioned above, the decline of advertising revenue (related to the perceived efficacy of electronic advertising vs. print, the downturn in many lines of business and related cuts to advertising budgets) coupled with the "web is free" decline in paying subscribers to print or electronic offerings have lead to what I find to be a lack of quality journalism. Most "eyeballs" are focused on entertainment and sound bites; complicated issues or thoughtful analysis is "too hard."

Compounding this in sailing journalism is the backscratching coverage that results when articles of products/events/innovations are tied to advertising dollars.

I may be a luddite or a curmudgeon (or both) but since no one wants to buy advertising or subscriptions, we are on a path to getting our facts from Wikipedia rather than qualified, trained journalists or editors. We will get what we pay for.

And the oddest thing is that many of the free bloggers and posters view their crowning achievements as getting an article into print...

Go figure. Go sailing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

White Rabbit
Vineyard Haven
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook