SailNet Community - View Single Post - the inevitable slow death of sailing journalism - does it matter
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012

dylanwinter1 is on a distinguished road
Utterly agree.... but...

DFOK

did you make that up? I wondered where you were going with it. Well written

Gary and Jim

as a hack I conider myself lucky to still have two sailing magazines I can write for. Practical Boat Owner in the UK who pay around £100 a page - snaps for free. The other is Small Craft Advisor - at around $100 a page.

terrible money compared to even ten years ago....but times are tough for the publishers.

So in the land of the Ipad what is the revenue model?

I assume that there is not one for a market as tiny as yachting journalism.

At the moment on the streamed video films I earn around 70 cents a 1000 downloads

a million viewed films a year adds up to $700 - or about a week's wages for an employed trainee hack.

amazingly, old blokes are still buying the DVDs - which I hand label and stick into Jiffy bags myself here at KTL mega corp industries limited

but I assume that market will die - and I am already giving the films away free for streaming on the web

However, and here is the clincher......

a hypothetical question

if you could choose between no more magazines

or

no more sailing related web sites, forums or searches I know which way I would go

what I hate is the way my own behaviour is killing my own industry

Dylan

PS tough times are the reason why I have spent this winter sailing a duck punt rather than investing £50 in a tank of petrol to get to the proper boat

Duck punt in a stiff breeze - www.keepturningleft.co.uk - YouTube

the inevitable demise of real sailing journalism - www.keepturningleft.co.uk - YouTube

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by dylanwinter1; 02-21-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook