SailNet Community - View Single Post - Harken Radials
Thread: Harken Radials
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4gta View Post
Harken gear isn't cheap, they're just using modern materials instead of technology that is over 100 years old. Harken also deliberately removes weight were it is not needed. Anderson doesn't have any interest in light weight options. They are very nice winches, but extremely heavy.
Believe me, I KNOW it's not cheap. I just think a lot of it LOOKS cheap - take the stainless top of that winch - it looks like a sheetmetal stamping while the Andersens look like they were carved from a block of Stainless. I like things like winches to be heavy - it's reassuring. I have always thought worrying about 10 or 15 lbs on a 10K or 20K Lb boat to be a bit academic anyway - it you're THAT worried about weight, put yourself and the crew on a diet and leave the beer ashore.

Of course you aren't going to find high tech deadeyes & lanyards on my boat either.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook