SailNet Community - View Single Post - Did I miss the boat?
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2006
capbill

capbillh is on a distinguished road
Hi, you are never too old to start. I started 30 years ago with a 16' Comet, then 2 years later moved to a 22' Oday with a 1 yr son. My daughter, son & wife tried it over the years with my wife even in chartered 30s' boats in the Chesapeake but did not get in to it. The result was I sailed for 28 yrs just in the Barnegat Bay about day solo about 60% of the time. But I did bareboat about 13 weekends 30'-40' with guys from work in the Chesapeake & just dreamed about a BVI week. Last August, being alone I bought a 28' Oday with solo being most of the time. Since I am retired I solo maostly on week days. I think that I could have goene a couple of feet larger . I do have Sarah (Self-contained unit for Automatic Response at the Helm) to help on tacks & raising the main. I have a cradle in the slip to control the bow if there is wind for solo docking. I met a guy this year that soloed his 42' from Norfolk to Cape May. It is better to grow into a little bigger than comfortable boat than to quicky outgrow your existing one.
I am 65 but feel younger. A small number of guys in the marina are in their 70s & get alone with minimum help for day sails in 30' to 37'. I have not tried to weigh anchor in moderate wind solo yet.
My peers are dropping by the wayside. "Don't wait for your boat to come in, Swim out to it!"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook