SailNet Community - View Single Post - Depth sounders
Thread: Depth sounders
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012

svjobeth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnharch View Post
My transducer is locate on the starboard side of the forward edge of the keel to starboard of the head, it thru hull transducer, not a shoot thru the hull. It is at quite an angle there and I thought that may be affecting it. I'm sure it is not an issue of the keel stirring up the bottom because some of the wost performance I get is when I'm tied to the dock at my home port in 10' of water. It is also not a dirty bottom issue because it can have problems right after I have had a diver clean the bottom.

I sure hate to go down the road of replacing things until it works.

Niftynickers, how and where is your thru the hull transducer mounted?

John
'91 PSC 34
It would seem the sharp angle would affect the readings, but again, I'm confused as to why it's a shallow water issue.

Our depth transducer is located in perhaps the least ideal place; a shoot-through under the galley sink on the outboard side of the sink drain and refer intake seacocks. And yes, we have run aground on occasion, but in all honesty, it's because I wasn't paying attention to where I was in relation to the ICW channel. The sounder works fine and accurately. Still, we'll definitely relocate it to the through hull forward of the keel, which was occupied by the old knotmeter paddle wheel transducer when we do our electronics replacements.
1984 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34, Hull #16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook