SailNet Community - View Single Post - what's the process to test sail a boat?
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012

NewportNewbie is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys...First off she won't be on the boat in 20 knots if we can help it...Not doing long cruising, just daysailing...now I might do some longer trips solo or with sailing buddies and I am not bothered by the chop...I don't want a bigger boat at this point as I really like how a boat in the 30 ft range handles. I have found another dealer and the owner has offered to take me out anytime in his personal First 30. Because of the newness of the boat I have not found one I can charter...I'd love that...I also hear that because of the different design, it will sail differently than another Beneteau...so chartering a different boat may not give me the answers I want. I don't sympathize with a sailboat dealer at all...to me its simple...get someone who has the money to like the product...and sell it. If they wanted more info on whether I was serious or not fine...but asking me to do a deal, then write a deposit check before I know if I like it isn't my way of doing business...I have bought 6 figure cars and to me it was a pretty simple transaction. I am not really sure why a boat has to be that different. Maybe I am naive. I am sure they have people looking for free rides all the time...I'll pay for a ride. Not looking for that. I also am not looking fr a long Sunday cruise that will take up their time...but their website says "Email us for a demo". So I did. Maybe I'm spoiled with how I bought this boat...The owners wouldn't take the check until I had been on it MANY times...and had all my questions answered. I actually thought they were going to change their mind because they were not salivating to take my check.

sailingfool...NONE of the reviews talk about racing with a crew. They all say how EASY it is to sail shorthanded and singlehanded and how its a great boat for a FAMILY as its not so hardcore. So you are the first person that says the New First 30 is a hardcore racer. In fact Beneteau says its a Performance Cruiser that you can race, not a Racer that can cruise.

Another reason I like this boat is the tiller...I like a tiller and prefer it to a wheel...especially for singlehanded sailing...not many cruising boats have tillers...

So the real question is...will my wife like another boat MORE than the current boat so she sails more with me? Thats the question and I think the only way to answer that is to put her on another boat. Anyway its my day off..and I am off to go sailing!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook