SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricKLYC View Post
From Voiles & Voiliers: we know the French especially like the light and beamy “open” designs, but these get terrible IRC ratings so they are quite useless for handicap racing.
Marsaudon Composites in Lorient decided they wanted to do something about it and recently launched their first MC 34 Patton, named after the associated watchmaker, optimized for IRC.

Have a look at the basic figures:
10.50m (9.15 waterline) x 3.46m x 1.99m
3650 kg (1.900 kg ballast, > 50%!)
67m2 upwind

Estimated TCC is between 1.055 and 1.058

It has an inverted deck line to save weight in the extremities and create a little more headroom below decks without raising the roof too much. But no bulb in the leaded keel and only one pair of spreaders on the carbon mast to reduce the rating.
The hull is composite with glass reinforced infused vinylester and thermoformed foam, painted without a formal gelcoat layer.

At first glance the interior looks quite comfortable for a boat with definite racing ambitions, although the small, centered chart table looks very racy but quite useless.

Add a carbon mast and boom and this light boat will lift you about € 215.000, I presume without sails . But then you also get an personalized Patton clock and watch .

Light but well ballasted and with a sharply chined, beamy hull, this looks like a very powerful design. Wait and see what it will do around the buoys, especially when the prices are handed out .

Van Drop Box

Van Drop Box

Marsaudon Composites - Lorient - MC34 PATTON

Best regards,

Eric

Yes, that seems to be a great boat with a big potential. Funny that don't seem a Marc Lombard boat, I mean with all that ballast and relatively narrow. It seems that Ker is influencing European designers...no wonder with all those victories.

It is a pity all that grey, it seems a bit like a war machine to me. I like racing colors

It is expensive but I guess you cannot make this type of boat otherwise: It has to be light and very strong to be able to resist to the forces that huge ballast on a long keel will transmit to the hull, I mean huge RM. You cannot make it very light and very strong without making it very expensive

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 02-22-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook