SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

P26-redirect halyards to cockpit

9K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  Newp26owner 
#1 · (Edited)
Does anyone have any photos, diagrams or suggestions on running the mainsheet and jib halyards from the mast to the cockpit on a P26? I'm not sure what the best arrangement of blocks, deck organizers or clutches would be to make singlehandling easier.

#2 · (Edited)
Does anyone have any photos, diagrams or suggestions on running the mainsheet and jib halyards from the mast to the cockpit on a P26? ...
The mainsheet is already in the cockpit. It is attached to the traveller which runs across the cockpit between the seating area and the outboard motor well.:D

On a serious note, don't do it. You would need turning blocks near the mast, winches and cleats or stoppers on the cabintop. The Pearson 26 is a great little boat as designed. The stepped-up cabin top will complicate your intended layout. Why put additional hardware through the balsa-cored deck and put stresses on parts of the boat outside the original design?

Learn to go to the mast to raise and lower the sails.

#3 · (Edited)
^^^

I don't necessarily agree about not doing it.

My P26 has had blocks (2 blocks) on the cabin top and 2 Lewmar 8s on the cabin top aft end since the 70s.... no problem, works great.

Much more convenient to have lines led to the cockpit and there's no real problem w/ the winches, etc., getting in the way.

As seen here:

#5 ·
I have aPearson 26 One Design (low straight cabin top) and also have thought about rigging both halyards to the cockpit. Question: Are winches really needed to raise the main and jib sails when rigged this way. I figured a couple turning blocks at the mast and a pair of clutches toward the rear of cabin top. Seems to me the amount of purchase required would not change with this setup. Am I missing something?

#6 ·
I would definitely take you halyards back o the cabin top. Much superior arrangement. And yes you will need winches too get proper tension on the luff of both sails. A couple of Lewmar 16 ST would work and you should be able to pick up a used set.

If all you wanted to take back were the two halyards you could get away with one winch but I would suggest that you consider possibly a reefing line and possibly some others.

Have Fun

#7 ·
Good point on the reefing line. I was planning on using the standard cockpit winches with clutches on the cabin top. I had a 23' Ensign with that arrangement and didn't have any trouble with using the cockpit winches, but if you think it would be difficult to get the tension I'll rethink it. I may go ahead and try it without and add the winches later if it becomes unbearable. I won't be able to report on progess until spring though.

#9 ·
My Pearson 33 has a very similar cabin top. Both of my halyards run through turning blocks that are fastened through the cabintop. They lead through cam locks that are just forward of a small, single speed winch, similar to Fendertweed's setup. I think you will definitely need a halyard winch (and it will be useful for other hauling tasks too.) Everything has been installed with backing plates inside the cabin. Very convenient, much safer than climing up on the house and pretty much a necessity when sailing solo - I wouldn't have it any other way.

#10 ·
With the short days and six day work weeks I haven't had time to finish but I did get started. I made up two 1/8" aluminum plates and shaped them to the contour of the mast by bending whit clamps and banging with a rubber mallet. I attached a pair of eyestraps on each plate with countersunk flathead SS 1/4-20 screws from the backside. Then pop riveted each plate to the base of the mast with 12 3/16 aluminum rivets. So now I have four turning blocks at the mast base and didn't have to drill holes in the cabin top. I also installed new Spinlock double deck organizers, one port side one starboard side of cabin top to route the lines aft. Installed a pair of used Lewmar #8 winches I found used on Craigslist for $65 each. All I have left to do is install the two new Garhauer double line clutches and replace the halyards with new line that is an extra 10 feet in length.

#15 ·
rhr1956 - it looks like the pics you posted got deleted. Any chance of emailing them to me? I decided I was going with the aluminum plate set-up that you created. My thought was to thread the plate and mast rather than use the pop-rivets but then started thinking I won't have any nuts or backing inside the mast unless I take the mast down (which I'm trying to avoid).

Does anyone have an opinion on the need for nuts or washers on the threaded bolts to hold plates on? I was going to use eight, 1/4x20 bolts to hold each plate on.

#21 ·
I do not have a high enough post count to post pictures, copy and drop in your browser.

here is Starboard side

i27.photobucket.com/albums/c162/hmt321/Port.jpg

from left to right

spinnaker pole down haul, spinnaker pole lift, then 2 extra halyards

Port side

i27.photobucket.com/albums/c162/hmt321/Stbd.jpg

Main Halyard (blue), Jib Halyard (red)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.