Ok, I'm a little confused by these. I'm 90% sure they are communication "languages" that allow different electronic devices communicate and share information with one another. I'm up to 99% sure that NMEA 2000 supercedes the 0183. Now for a few questions.
1. Does NMEA 2000 work with older 0183 devices?
2. How much longer will 0183 be good for?
3. Is there a significant performance difference or just a difference in how they are connected?
4. Is there a good source I can read to better understand NMEA and how different systems can be hooked together so it all works together with one display but can still operate independently in case of failure in a single device?
5. Am I the only person in the world who doesn't understand this stuff?
I'm not very electronicly inclined so speak very s l o w l y please!