SailNet Community - View Single Post - NMEA 0183 vs NMEA 2000
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean101 View Post
Ok, I'm a little confused by these. I'm 90% sure they are communication "languages" that allow different electronic devices communicate and share information with one another. I'm up to 99% sure that NMEA 2000 supercedes the 0183. Now for a few questions.

1. Does NMEA 2000 work with older 0183 devices?
Depends on the equipment installed. Most manufactures have dual or triple ways to connect. If they don't you can get a converter box. Most 1083 cannot read 2000. Raymarine uses their own system called Seatalk. Having said that though most instruments can read 1083 and few can read 2000,

2. How much longer will 0183 be good for?
[COLOR="Blue"]From the Miami boat show it is on it's way out due to the new equipment coming out with blue tooth and Wifi connections. Raymarine with the new E7 and soon E-9 and E12. SimRad group is coming out with their new line-up this spring.

3. Is there a significant performance difference or just a difference in how they are connected?
Both from what I can see. NMEA 2000 is is linear in their connections while NMEA 0183 is daisy chain in their backbone connections with each other.

4. Is there a good source I can read to better understand NMEA and how different systems can be hooked together so it all works together with one display but can still operate independently in case of failure in a single device
It depends on how the system is wired. Most are daisy chained. So if one system fails it CAN take out the whole system or partial lost of some. The advantage of the NMEA 2000 is that if one system goes down the rest can still function.
5. Am I the only person in the world who doesn't understand this stuff?
This is only my vague understand of it all.

I'm not very electronicly inclined so speak very s l o w l y please!
Hope that helps.
Catalina 445, Hull #90
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook