SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

sailing movies / video suggestions?

18K views 70 replies 51 participants last post by  gaha 
#1 ·
Got one of those Blu-Ray contraptions and am enjoying David Attenborough's BBC "Life" series in full 240hz 1080P surround sound-ness. Would love to spend this cold land-locked Pennsylvania winter watching a sailing movie or two. Any recommendations for good movies or videos? Volvo Ocean Race or something maybe? Or even something with a plot? White Squall and Perfect Storm being the only two boating movies I can think of. (Other than that ocean liner movie)

Suggestions? Preferably stuff that's reasonably priced on Amazon or on the shelf at Blockbuster. (or can be streamed online maybe?)

Thanks!

This post has been deleted
#16 · (Edited)
"With Jean-du-Sud Around the World"

Thanks for the tip. I can't believe I've never seen this. I found it here: With Jean du Sud Around the World. Amazon lists it as 'out of stock', and Netflix has never heard of it.

I've seen "Master and Commander", "Morning Light", and "Wind". I enjoyed "Master and Commander" but thought the other two sucked. Bad. They both embarrassed me and made me want to apologize for being a sailor.

"Jean-du-Sud", on the other hand, reminded me why I sail in the first place.

IMHO -- YMMV

Jeff

#6 ·
Dead Calm - Sam Neill, Nicole Kidman, Billy Zane

Not sure what is on Blu Ray?

Reactions: jameswilson29
#9 ·
I find that if you haven't seen Cap'n Ron you will have no idea how many lines from the movie are routinely being thrown your way. Its not great theater, but it has some funny parts and you'll stop wondering what in the heck that guy just meant by:

If its gonna happen, it gonna happen out there.
I'm going down for some shuteye.
I learned that on the sara.
Everyone has a job to do, if you do a good job, you get a better job.
At least your dry rot is above the waterline.
I know we are in Puerto Rico, because it was x hours away, I put in x hours of fuel and we are out of fuel. (forgot the specifics)

I'm forgetting a hundred more.

#18 ·
Thank you! The Jean du Sud one looks promising but that site threw my computer into slow motion. Might have to just have it shipped. Haven't seen Captain Ron in years. That should be cheap enough on Amazon...

And whoever said "World's Fastest Indian" -- I really liked that one too. (not a sailing movie)

#25 ·
How is Charlie St. Cloud? Seems like they ran two ad campaigns for it.. One set of commercials made it look like an awesome sailing movie. The other commercials (which probably ran during Oprah) made it look like some stupid love story with a sailboat in the background. I can deal with stupid love stories or chick flicks as long as they're decently done, and entertaining. I'm hoping this one is worth a redbox dollar...

#31 · (Edited)
Jackdale gets a star for mentioning Dead Calm. It actually touches on some real sailing issues, including being careful about who you take on to crew. Between Billy Zane and Nicole Kidman, Billy was an interesting character, but Nicole was a much better sailor.

Don't forget that Gregory Peck was the original Horatio Hornblower, but Russell Crowe was more fun as Lucky Jack Aubrey. On the other hand, both series of books are better than the movies.

#33 ·
My movies

Here is a short list of some of my favorites. Some of these links have multiple options for players, and some like U tube require that you play part one part two part three etc.
Bird of Paradise:
YouTube - Bird of Paradise 1

Captains Courageous:
Watch Captains Courageous online - Watch Movies Online, Full Movies

The Riddle of the Sands:
The Riddle of the Sands

Anne of the Indies:
Anne of the Indies

Kidnapped:

Against all Flags:
YouTube - Against All Flags (part 1 of 9)

Moby Dick:
Hulu - Moby Dick - Watch the full feature film now.

Got more but I said short list.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.