SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Teak vs fiberglass sole?

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  sailingdog 
#1 ·
The cabin sole of the Bandera was originally all teak. After the "hurricane summer" in FL in 2004, when water got in and stayed in a couple of weeks before the boat could be hauled and all that, the teak rotted and was removed, holes re-glassed, etc., so now it's fiberglass with a worn out carpet on it. My question: should I forget replacing the teak due to the maintenance it would require once put in (not to mention the time and cost to do it), and just put new carpet down? Or go ahead and do bite the bullet? The teak looked really sweet...but... :confused:

#2 ·
IMO get rid of the carpet. It will always hold dirt, moisture, odors and worse.
I'd either
a)fashion a new sole from whatever material may work, teak is traditional but expensive, other options may be available, especially nowadays with all the synthetics available. At $250 a 1/4"sheet, the traditional "teak & holly" plywood will make for a costly project - looks great though and depending on boat size you may not need too much of it.
or b) fair the fiberglass sole and paint it with a mild non skid, perhaps in a slightly contrasting pattern to get away from the mass of white.

#4 ·
I'd look for Ipe decking, which comes in 1x5 (3/4x4-3/4) planking and is very close to teak at a much lower price. Widely available.

Carpet is pretty in port, but treacherous once you start heeling. And holds the damp, so mildew can take shelter in it. I'd rather lay down anti-skid or Treadmaster than carpet, simply because I like good functional footing underneath my feet. But teak, or Ipe, would be nice.

#5 ·
Is Ipe another of the hardwoods that greys? I have some outdoor furniture made out of one of those, but it's not teak or ipe...

I was wondering about a composite like Trex (sp?). Our deck has held up great, but it does fade in the sun if you get a darker color. I would worry about that only as far as uneven fading goes and how that would look. Right now it's a nonskid white (the carpet is definitely out of there - it's nasty!). I could paint it a more pleasing light color with Durabak or something, which would definitely be easier...

#6 ·
Wood floorboards

We've found that the wooden floorboards on our boat have lasted about 20 years. They're made of 3/8" teak/holly ply. We replace them as they become delaminated or rotted from frequent immersion. Our bilge is rather small and fills easily. Some of the original 1981 pieces are still fine.We give the new ones a double or triple coat of epoxy to ensure water doesn't get in again, and then a similar number of coats of varnish to protect the epoxy from UV degradation. The teak/holly ply is pricey, but we don't think we'll be needing to replace the new floorboards any time soon.

Attachments

#10 ·
Carpet is really a nightmare on a boat. It tends to trap moisture, dust and if your boat leaks at all—mold and mildew. If you had a teak floor, a teak and holly sole will really be the best choice. Fiberglass can be very ugly. The idea to seal it with epoxy is a really good idea... and will help keep the sole in good shape, even if the boat is flooded again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.