SailNet Community - View Single Post - Not one nice Marina from Trenton to Essington, Pa
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012
Yamsailor

Yamsailor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
I have a couple problems with the premise of your question.

How exactly do you define "nice"? From your post, it seems like you define it by restaurants and pools.

Marinas anywhere will only survive if there is sufficient demand for their amenities for them to charge enough to cover their cost (with an acceptable profit margin). So why don't marinas in Philly and NYC have these amenities? Probably because there are already so many nice restaurants and pools nearby! There is no demand for "country club" marinas in this area.

Like Ulladh and Denise, I define "nice" as 1) quick to get to from my home; 2) well enough maintained that I can trust my boat will not get beat up, and I can practice good hygiene on shore; 3) fair value for my money; 4) nice neighbors. I pay $1053/year for in-season slip (including electric and water, and I could pay only $975 if I wanted a shorter finger pier) and $300/year for winter storage on the hard. I dare anyone to find a better value.

Personally, I don't care about restaurant, pool, or fancy amenities. I want to sail and go home, not hang around the docks. Although, I do walk around and say hello to people when I'm there.

If you want a swimming pool, you can consider Corinthian YC in Essington, which has pool, huge clubhouse, and even skeet shooting. You'll need to rent a mooring ball from them. Prepare to pay $$$. And wear your ascot. lol

If you want dredging, they're doing just that at West End Boat Club, where I am a member. Rates are similar to what Ulladh pays, and it's a very friendly place.

Riverside and Winters both seem to be very well maintained marinas with good (but not fancy) facilities.

The Delaware River is the Delaware River - strong currents, 6-8' tidal swing, narrow tacking space, but very close and convenient. No marina is going to change that.

So what, exactly, are you looking for?
Full service yard, slips with at least 6' of water a MLW, Full Chandelry, and restaurants. NYC area marinas quite often have most if not all of those amentities. I was trying to convey the Philadelphia marina owners could learn a lot from the marinas up in the NYC area.