SailNet Community - View Single Post - Great, I have a boat, but how do I get on it?
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012

CChelle is on a distinguished road
Great, I have a boat, but how do I get on it?

I'm not a short woman. I'm a very average 5'4". But I guess the boat is either made for men, or very tall women as I have the hardest time getting on it!

When I stand on the floor of the dinghy the back platform is over my head and it doesn't help much to stand on the seat as that only brings the platform to eye level. I have a swinging transom ladder with 4 steps and with one bad knee (thanks to a drunk driver) that results in one foot on the dinghy, trying to hold it still while the other foot reaches out to the swinging ladder and once I've got my footing the other foot is on the ladder and I climb the four or five steps up and then onto my knees on the platform and finally am on the boat. What should take all of about 10 seconds to accomplish takes me a full minute (maybe more if the water is rough).

Since we needed storage space we bought a lock box for the dinghy which is tall enough that when we pull up to the side of the boat, I can, albeit on my tip-toes, hike one leg up over the side of the boat and then pull myself up. It's a win-win! Right?

No. The box is too tall and a bit too wide for the dinghy and so is probably going back to the store.

But I'm not quite ready to give up this really easy way for me to get on the boat, and my knees (especially the one that is currently messed up) just can't handle going up the transom ladder (which forces me onto my knees because the solar panel is also back there) and really it's just too much trouble going up the back platform.

I've looked at some ladders and it seems most that go over the side are not built for sailboats, or aren't tall enough.

I can't be the only person dealing with this issue, can I?
So I come to you, and ask ... What's a girl to do?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook