SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
As for the galley ... just how much passage making do you intend to do ? The more time I spend on passage for longer than just daylight runs the more I realise that all galleys are a bugger to work in at sea and that unless you are talking passages of longer than four or five days then its best to do most of your preparation before you set off and/or eat simply when at sea. But I'm sure you know all this.
Reality is you'll spend most time at anchor where the only negative of the in line galley is the loss of a settee berth opposing the dinette.
Yes, you are right regarding the galley. If a in line galley is well done with support for the back, like the one on some boats, it is not a problem to work there. Probably it is more confortable than a partial side support on the other type of galley and the in line galley has the advantage of a much better storage space for m2 of bench.

Where the real advantage lays is on the two lateral bunks instead of one, two sea berths, or if you only need one, the possibility of choosing the one that is more comfortable depending on the tack and the boat heeling.

Probably because very few make significant use of sea berths, the in line galley is become more and more popular because as a galley is more functional and has more storage space.

Well, that's why my wife likes more in line galleys and I like more classical Galleys. I don't care for the galley, what I like is the two lateral bunks

Take a good look at this one from the Bavaria 40:

Bavaria Yachtbau: 360°-Bilder

Not properly nice but very big and functional, with support to the back and a bar for clipping a waist harness. You have to give credit to Bavaria for this kind of stuff (also for the optional security system for the cockpit and deck).

Almost nobody use it but they continue to do boats like if they were really to be sailed hard and long

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook