SailNet Community - View Single Post - Catalina 355 MK11
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012

BryceGTX is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatHatDiver View Post
The Catalina 355 MK11 has been our favorite boat to charter in our clubs fleet.
Very comfortable for my Family. But, this boat is a slug for any speed.
I have had this boat in cooking wind. For me anyways. 15-25 kts and I never see more than 5.4 mph. Owner likes MPH over KNOTS, on both the chart plotter and gps. Do you think this is max hull speed for this boat? A couple months ago I was chartering a 34' 2011 Beneteau. Same wind and conditions. We ran her almost 8 knots. I love a fast tender boat. My Wife and kids hate it. Back to the Catalina. Im learning a lot chartering different boats. Im still not impressed with the Catalina's speed on the water. She is a very comfortable boat to sail though.
Boy.. I would expect there is something radically wrong here. Maybe you have 6 inches of growth on the bottom.

There is no way a 355 has a hull speed of 5.4 mph. I would expect the hull speed to be more along the lines of between 7 and 8 knots. Which would be reasonable for this boat. I know in a wind you describe, I can often times hit 10 knots with my 400, which is above its hull speed.

To get my 400 down to 6 knots, I have to create a bit of drag. I can easily hit 6 knots dragging a few toys.
Bryce
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LakeErie2011.jpg (59.3 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by BryceGTX; 02-24-2012 at 05:22 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook