SailNet Community - View Single Post - ferro boats
Thread: ferro boats
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2006

mstern is on a distinguished road
Ooops

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotphix
Mstern: what happens when you hit GRP with a hammer? Ok now how about wood? Now tell us what light houses are made of. Cement really isn't dumb as a building material and add to the list of benefits easy to repair any where in the world.

Now for the electrical and plumbing on the vast majority of inexpensive fiberglass or any other material boats. Lots done by "handymen". Automotive and household materials.

I'm no ferrobooster but as I understand it, low quality galvanized armature wire was the big problem with many homebuilt ferro hulls. If you can find a surveyor who knows them and it checks out then why not ferro. Cheap does sometimes translate to good value if you're careful.
It looks like my memory is more faulty than ever; it wasn't Westsail that made the ferro boats back in the day (although they did look like it). Yotphix, you make a good point about other materials. My point was not that wood or fiberglass is invulnerable to smashing on a reef, just that while cement is a very strong material, it is generally more brittle and less likely to "flex" than wood or even fiberglass. And while you can find cement anywhere in the world, what little I know about ferro boat building leads me to believe that you can't use just any cement. Maybe ferro boats are more popular elsewhere and there are skilled craftsman available. However, if the boat were to be used primarily in the good ol' US of A, I would rather depend on finding skilled fiberglass workers than experienced ferroboat builders.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook