SailNet Community - View Single Post - CS30 Replacing the holding tank - poly or stainless???
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012

chamonix is on a distinguished road
Anyway, some things to watch for. When we first started sailing our boat ( which would be when we first started sailing ) It would fill with water and the head would be full of crap which we would have to clean up. I'm slow in the uptake but even I figured out that something was wrong, after all who could enjoy sailing if you have to clean out the head and bilge after every sail. The answers came from another CS30 owner in our marina.
The head. It has no vented loop between the holding tank and head. If the joker valve goes it backfills when the boat heels. He suggested putting in a new head. One that the pump locks in place when not in use adding another layer of protection from backfilling. Clean out a crap filled head a couple of times and the $150 seems very cheap. If your head does not have a pump that locks in place think about replacing it ( this is why the head to holding tank hose was replaced but the discharge hose wasn't ).
Cockpit drain hoses. Agian the hoses here where the originals and in very bad shape. Had the wife fill the cockpit with water and watched them drain. they leaked very badly and in one spot the water poured through. The cockpit though hull is above water but when in a good heal the water was pouring in, and as new sailors, and not very competent we realy has her healed ( OK I realy had her healed ). So check you cockpit hoses and see what shape there in, good chance they may have been replaced already. To check you need to get to the end of the hull through the cockpit locker. It was a horrible job replacing them, I'm a big guy, its a tight fit over lots of sharp stringers, to get to hoses siezed to the through hulls. After two days of pain and missery a passer by on the dock told me he had owned a CS30 and I just needed to remove the propane locker to have good access to the cockpit hoses without going through the cockpit. I felt like killing him.
How are you enjoying the boat?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook