SailNet Community - View Single Post - Not one nice Marina from Trenton to Essington, Pa
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012
Yamsailor

Yamsailor is on a distinguished road
Well, with regards to Philadelphia, I think if you build it--boaters will come. Winters is a nice yard in and of itself. The channel in is too low 1 hour either side of low tide. If that area were to be dredged properly, I agree that would be the best around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
I'm no expert in this, and not trying to make excuses, but intuitively I think the density of wealth in NYC is a lot higher than Philly, so you get the megayachts there to pump up the local marine economy.

So what's wrong with Winter's/Riverside (adjacent marinas under same ownership)? Between the two of them they have a full service yard, chandlery, restaurant (with others a short walk away), 6' depth on some or most docks.

I'm not sure the issue with the Philly area is lack of pride. It's lack of demand and dollars. Pride doesn't pay the bills. The supply and demand curves have to cross, and I'm not sure they would for a high-end marina in the Philly area.