SailNet Community - View Single Post - Not one nice Marina from Trenton to Essington, Pa
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamsailor View Post
DO you see a pattern there? I know some people who worked on all those projects. I was told the only reason marinas were put in those designs was to appease the people who wanted some type of water front access. After the permits came though, the plans to build each of thise marinas were scrapped (i.e., the developers never intended to build the marinas)
If a high-end marina had the potential to be profitable, developers would not scrap it from the plan.

Maybe your hypothesis is right that it was only put in the plan temporarily to appease certain special interests. But it's an indisputable fact that developers want to make money, and if there was a true potential for a high-end marina to make money, a developer would build it.

Quote:
Winters is a nice yard in and of itself. The channel in is too low 1 hour either side of low tide. If that area were to be dredged properly, I agree that would be the best around.
The chart shows 7-8 feet at MLW, though not sure NOAA re-surveyed Dredge Harbor in 2010 (when they did the rest of the river). Have you been in there to confirm that it's too shallow?

From what I've heard about West End Boat Club's dredging contract, I suspect that dredging an area like Dredge Harbor would cost over a million dollars and take a few years of legal haggling over permits. Any marina operator has to consider whether the Delaware River has enough potential as a recreational boating area to pay back such an investment.

Quote:
Well, with regards to Philadelphia, I think if you build it--boaters will come...
That kind of thinking got us into the bubble that burst in 2008. In the new normal, potential investors are right to be skeptical. Would you invest your own money in this?

Ulladh - Didn't you tell me that the Chester waterfront plan had a high-end marina down near the soccer (er, football, in your case) stadium?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook