SailNet Community - View Single Post - Proper Sail Lockers on Cruisers - Opinions Please
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinoVernisci View Post
Hi All

Just sharing an observation and looking for opinions...

I have been studying interior layouts of a variety of boats between 30' and 50' and noticing that so few have a proper sail locker in the bow with direct access from the deck. I am new to sailing however it seems this feature would be worthwhile as a place to stow the multitude of gear associated with a long passage (sails + everything else) as well as a proper place to hang foulies.

I am inclined to think that sufficient provision could be made for sleeping arrangements via pullman berths in the aft. Am I discounting too heavily the value of the extra living space at the front of the boat? Is a sail locker too spartan a feature for cruising weeks or months at sea?

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated! Gino
Racing boats are very commonly set up that way, sometimes with pipe cots over the sail bins. Cruising boats don't do it simply because of the loss of living space. The manufacturers squeeze every inch of living space out of their boats now - interiors are what sell boats nowadays.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook