SailNet Community - View Single Post - Not one nice Marina from Trenton to Essington, Pa
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2012
Yamsailor

Yamsailor is on a distinguished road
Yes,

I was at Winters/Dredge Harbor two weeks ago by boat.

It is LOW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
If a high-end marina had the potential to be profitable, developers would not scrap it from the plan.

Maybe your hypothesis is right that it was only put in the plan temporarily to appease certain special interests. But it's an indisputable fact that developers want to make money, and if there was a true potential for a high-end marina to make money, a developer would build it.

The chart shows 7-8 feet at MLW, though not sure NOAA re-surveyed Dredge Harbor in 2010 (when they did the rest of the river). Have you been in there to confirm that it's too shallow?

From what I've heard about West End Boat Club's dredging contract, I suspect that dredging an area like Dredge Harbor would cost over a million dollars and take a few years of legal haggling over permits. Any marina operator has to consider whether the Delaware River has enough potential as a recreational boating area to pay back such an investment.

That kind of thinking got us into the bubble that burst in 2008. In the new normal, potential investors are right to be skeptical. Would you invest your own money in this?

Ulladh - Didn't you tell me that the Chester waterfront plan had a high-end marina down near the soccer (er, football, in your case) stadium?