SailNet Community - View Single Post - Which Anchor?
Thread: Which Anchor?
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2012

HUGOSALT is on a distinguished road
OP
"I normally anchor in mud, but who knows what I may find. My current set-up is a no name danforth style anchor with 5 feet of chain (coated) and 200 feet of 7/16 3-strand nylon, which came with the boat. I figure that this is the minimum set-up for normal conditions. I would like to add a more robust system giving me more confidence that I'm secure when the wind gets up unexpectedly in the middle of the night.p.s.
I'm now over 68 and not as robust as in the past and have to be able to handle the anchor alone. "
John,
Suggest if your current "no name danforth style" anchor is properly sized that you extend chain to approx. 30' and use when you
anchor in known good bottom in benign conditions for afternoon.
Will be easier to handle than below suggest...
Also suggest you go with Manson Supreme 25 for other situations
...questionable bottom, unsettled weather, overnight.

Reason for going against conventional wisdom and basicly using a
lunch hook (your current set up plus more chain) is that your
biggest problem with the Manson Supreme will come when it comes
time to haul back on board by hand...it sticks good...something you don't want to do every day...but something you will be happy to do after a rough night and it has done its job.

Above is based on my experience on my 30', (8500#)in mostly sand and mud, with danforth and 50' chain up to 30 kts consistant wind...if questionable weather/several days anch out comes Delta 35
Above may help keep you on the water for years to come...
or maybe you can angle for a windlass for your next birthday!
Best,
Hugo

hopefully replacing danforth with Manson Supreme 25 this spring
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook