SailNet Community - View Single Post - Not one nice Marina from Trenton to Essington, Pa
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2012

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Yam,

I've contemplated this many times. My slip neighbor and I had a lengthy conversation last summer about the options in the NYC area. ( he's considering a move) I tend to agree with your premise, in that..given the relative amount of boaters in the area, and the amt. wealth; the quality of the options available seem limited; to the point where, I don't think people choose their marinas in the NYC area for their amenities. I'm going to venture a guess that their choices are more about access: travel distance from home, access to the waters they want to be near, and the activities they partake in, Racing, cruising, daysailing, Fishing etc. Some of the marinas on the Hudson are downright rough. Lincoln Harbor comes to mind. Newport in Jersey City is a bit nicer, but some of the docks are falling apart.
Both are bouncy. Liberty landing is probably the most protected on the lower hudson, and you pay a price for it. Raritan YC , Keyport are all moorings. Great Kills has a mix of moorings and slips, but you'll pay the bridge tolls to get to SI every time you go to the boat. Then there's the Highlands, Perth Amboy municipal, Lockwoods and I'm sure I missed a few.
In short, there are compromises to be made with every choice up here. I don't think there's a place that " Has it all" I think all these places have positives, depending upon what your particular wants and needs are. But, you will also give up something with any choice.

I can't speak to the Delaware choices. I've sailed out of Winter's. It seemed narrow and shallow. I've been to the marina on the Cohansey, Hancock Harbor? Pretty rough, and isolated, but it might be perfect for someone who lives nearby.

No intent to insult the Delaware bay sailors, but if you're closer to the Chesi than to NY I would find a nice spot on the Chesapeake. In the NY area you'll pay top dollar and make compromises wherever you go.

Last edited by Tempest; 02-25-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook