SailNet Community - View Single Post - Are davits a safety issue for coastal cruising?
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2012

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Dreamer, covering would help but consider the force of a wave dropping on the dink, even covered. It might readily exceed the limits of the attachments, or the davits, and even if it did not it would push the stern down.

If you had realiable forecasts for good wx, I'd say leave it. But if there's any chance of wx deteriorating, stow it on deck. You know, like reefing? If you have to ask "should I" it is already past the time to do it.
This advice from "hellosailor" sounds wise to me. I use davits for coastal cruising an keep all extra weight off the dinghy offshore. I also have sturdy SS pipe davits that are well supported. Modern forecasts are very reliable for sustained storms and the biggest risks will be short term thunderstorms that can whip up a big wind for a half hour or so, but not long enough for unpredicted big waves. I won't discount the exception and as said above, ..."it is already past time to do it.

This second photo shows a solar panel above my davits and shrounds from the distal end of each davit to the top of my mizzen. The pieces with the wrapped line are just a stowed boarding ladder. I have the height and room to pull the side of my dinghy furthest from my transom up at an angle that leaves the dinghy unable to hold much water. I also selected the light weight Carribe without the full double hull. Take care and joy, Aythya crew

Last edited by CaptainForce; 02-26-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook