SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is Mexico still safe for cruising?
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2012

methridg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by whosedream View Post
Yes, Mexico is safe for cruising, surfing and living.
Based on my personal experiences as well as conversations with ex-pats, locals, sailors & surfers. I have never felt in danger anywhere I have traveled in Mexico.

It's no more & no less dangerous than many large US cities and certain Caribbean areas. It seems to me that US media outlets seem to play up violence and crime in Mexico while ignoring homegrown troubles. Mexico has a lower overall crime & murder rate than USA... Hmmm
Of course, those stats are different if your in the cartel business

I've been commuter cruising since November in the Sea of Cortez. Previously, I had/have visited Mexico for surfing (Baja and mainland) 5 to 10 times yearly for the past several years. I have never felt in danger anywhere i have traveled in Mexico.

Don't let the spectacular coverage of a few isolated incidents deter you from cruising and enjoying Mexico.
Don't get me wrong, I love Mexico, and we vacation there once or twice a year. But that said, the violence in parts of Mexico is not just a story the US media is making up. It is very real, and becoming more widespread. Definitely not "isolated incidences", depending on where you are. We were in Cabo a week after a shoot-out at the Wal-Mart on the way into town. Last week 22 cruise ship passengers were robbed at gunpoint in Puerto Vallarta.

Check out Borderland Beat. Not safe for the squeamish.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook