SailNet Community - View Single Post - Seamanship fail (Or how things add up)
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
Is it your experience that you loose 10 degrees plus of upwind performance when using the jib only?
I almost never sail with only a jib. If I sail with only one sail it's the main. However, I would expect to lose at least 10˚ - 15˚ of pointing ability with only a jib; particularly as the wind pipes up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
If everything is against you, wind, waves, current and you have to reef is a 160 degree tack angle not surprising, IE almost no upwind progress?

Every boat is different of course, this was a Catalina 25
A light, little boat like that is going to have a tough time of it to windward in a stiff breeze. Current and waves are going to make it that much tougher. However, with a tightly sheeted working jib and a helmsman who is really paying attention, you should be able to make some progress in anything shy of 25 or 30 kts, or so. The key is to not be too over-canvased (reef early, reef often), and "work" the waves and the puffs as much as possible, scratching out every bit of windward performance you can.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook