SailNet Community - View Single Post - Are davits a safety issue for coastal cruising?
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2012

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidney777 View Post
Since you have a Ketch can you post a picture that shows that area ? (to give better opinion by others) Also, because it is a ketch(I never had one), is it not practical to make a Bimini out of solar panels ?
...What do you think will/might happen in each stage of wind force. 30-40 knts ? Waves ?
..... Have you practiced with dinghy yet ? How get to dinghy with davits ?
I assume these questions are for the original poster's ketch, but I responded with my ketch as well and would address the same topics. I have seen solar panels mounted on hard tops or bimini frames upon ketches, sloops with center or aft cockpits. Their placement can be fragile or robust with any design, but all is at risk to a point. Naturally anything hanging further from amidship is more exposed to risk. My dinghy on davits with the panel above has been exposed on two occasions at anchor in 85 knot winds, but not challenged by a high overtaking following swell. As I said earlier, we are attentive to forecasts and advantaged by being coastal cruisers selecting the best weather without time commitments. Our davits are high enough to allow easy access to our lowered dinghy between the davits and under the solar panel without "ducking".

Here you'll see my outboard left on the dinghy up the Pamlico River, but I would always have it aboard when offshore. I also raise the starboard side of my dinghy offshore in harsh conditions.

Take care and joy, Aythya crew

Last edited by CaptainForce; 02-27-2012 at 07:30 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook