SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is Mexico still safe for cruising?
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2012
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44
I am no expert on Mexico but it seems that most of this advice concerns the western coast. The Yucatan is a different place (the eastern side.) There have been a couple of piracy incidents in the last couple of months - boats being shadowed by what appeared to be Mexican Navy vessels that disappeared when the on-shore support people of several cruiser nets contacted the Mexican Navy. If you travel around on shore away from downtown Cancun expect to see truckloads of Mexican Army personnel - all armed and not very friendly (my sense is they are under a lot of pressure, its not about you.) Like anywhere there are safe places (Isla Mujeres being one.) Lots of boats around, again, previous advice. Don't go off to deserted places and anchor. Talk to the locals about what is safe and what is not. Federal Officials - customs, immigration, etc. are very pleasant and helpful. If you are heading south to Belize check for where you can clear out of Mexico. There are no real good choices. From a sailing standpoint the current in the Yucatan Channel is a constant problem if you are heading south. It is true but not well publicized that the State Department has removed all Peace Corps volunteers from Honduras and Guatemala. Yet my sense is that the Honduran Islands are still about as safe as they ever were.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by svzephyr44; 02-26-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook