SailNet Community - View Single Post - Are davits a safety issue for coastal cruising?
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2012

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIVALO View Post
I have a question. Its been said a few times to stow the dingy on the deck when off shore. Why wouldn't you cover it and tow it behind you? I assume there is a reason?

Brad
s/v KIVALO
Several people have mentioned that towing a dinghy in high winds will probably result in towing a dinghy upside down and/or flying around at the end of the tow line. But thereís another reason you probably donít want to do it:

Bad weather offshore creates stress on skipper and crew. You begin to worry about stuff going wrong....things breaking, etc. Because the bad weather stays with you for a while, the stress doesnít go away -- it can be with you for days. Now, imagine what a dinghy flying about and plowing itís inverted bow into every other wave will do to your already stressed brain. Itís just another worry and, unlike some of the imagined stressors, itís very visible and constantly following you -- you canít stop looking back to see whatís happening..... you get the picture. Youíre going to want to do something about it -- but you canít because once youíre in that situation all you can do is live with it or cut it loose. You you realize you canít fix the problem, you begin to think, ďHow could I have been so dumb to have that dinghy back there in conditions like this?Ē The self-doubt also adds to the stress.

In bad weather the towed dinghy is a problem you donít need AND, unlike other problems you may face during the ordeal of a storm at sea, you can do something about it. Stow it! before things get bad -- which, practically speaking, means stowing it before you leave.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook