SailNet Community - View Single Post - Great Lakes to the Caribbean (route review)
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2012
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverknow View Post
I have not been to CA since they changed the rules. I know now you have to have a passport just to visit. Wasn't sure what else has changed?
Canada is easy - boat papers - passport - they will give you a clearance number. Make sure you stop at the US Customs (usually at the nearest international airport) to get a "courtesy clearance" out of the US. This makes it easier to get into Canada. Also, expect to be inspected - particularly for smokes and booze on the first time in. If you go in and out (such as going into Miquelon) the Canadians will most likely clear you back in by telephone.

Miquelon is even easier. The islands live on the tourist trade. When I checked in the customs person was at the airport. The Immigration person told me to have a nice dinner and the customs person would stop by in the morning. Very low key.

If you do go to Newfoundland come down through the Cabot Straight. Going over the top is for very experienced sailors as the ports are few and the weather can be brutal. If you are that good go do it, you will pull into towns that have not seen another sailboat for 5 years or more. You will enjoy the welcome.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook