SailNet Community - View Single Post - Volvo MD7a
Thread: Volvo MD7a
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012

Grand River Raider is on a distinguished road
Hello Klem,

Thanks for your input.

The boat is a Sabre 28. In both examples I would consider, either the injector system or the engine as a whole has been rebuilt.

It would not be my first choice of engines either. Trying to weigh the engine versus other factors of the old boat which I largely consider positive for my needs at this point. I would prefer not to have to repower, especially in the first season of owning the boat. You're right if worse came to worse, there are always the Beta Marine engines that seem to get good reviews on these type forums. Also, could repower with a rebuilt Yanmar or the like and this would save some $$$ versus the new engine. Then it gets into the issues of the offset prop of the Sabre and the left hand turn of the Volvo versus replacement engines that have right hand turning props. There seem to be varying opinions on these type forums about this issue. I'm not sure how big a deal it is in terms of handling, etc.

If I were to go this route, the boat would be brought from a saltwater environment to a freshwater environment on the Great Lakes where some of the Spring and Fall sails might make for some cooler starting temps. Just trying to weigh it all out.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook