SailNet Community - View Single Post - Volvo MD7a
Thread: Volvo MD7a
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012

Grand River Raider is on a distinguished road
Red face Yes there will be shorepower

Quote:
Originally Posted by klem View Post
Will you have shorepower where you keep it? With it, you can make an engine start much easier through several different methods. The easiest is to aim a heat gun at the air intake for a little while. You could also put an oil pan heater on which helps with cranking speed and does heat the block a little. Another option would be to heat the compartment. With all of these you want to be careful about making it safe. Unfortunately, you can't really hook up a conventional coolant block heater on a raw water cooled engine.
Yep, there would be shorepower and those are some options to consider. Thanks.

I think the bigger issue is simply whether or not the engine as a whole is worth the risk given that it is raw water and has spent its life in saltwater. Especially since on a boat of this vintage, an engine repair/replacement is such a large proportion of the overall cost/financial worth of the boat. I suppose the best that can be done is to have a diesel survey and take a chance if I want to go with this boat.

As mentioned, in a perfect world I would prefer a different engine and it has given me enough pause to consider buying other boats with newer engines. Then I have to keep reminding myself I'm not simply looking to buy an engine.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook