SailNet Community - View Single Post - Insurance survey vs purchase survey
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
It should be possible to get a CG courtesy inspection.. you'd have to contact the station at False Creek to see what the deal is there.. I know that often various Yacht clubs arrange on-site inspections on an annual basis and the CG attends and checks those boats participating.

However that is unlikely to satisfy an insurance co's request.

The irksome part about the mandated insurance surveys is that by the time they are required there's really nobody besides yourself as familiar with the boat. I virtually dictated my own insurance survey last year and got to pay $450 ($10/minute!!) for the privilege. Still, it's one of those hoops we all have to jump through.

I can tell you that the surveyor I used for that would not be one I'd call on for a serious pre purchase survey. But since as far as I'm concerned, an insurance survey for continued coverage is a 'rubber stamp' I don't suppose it matters who does it; what you need is that persons' 'stamp of approval'.

There may well be a list of approved surveyors so check with your carrier before booking a survey. Make sure your fire extinguishers and flares are up to date before you have the guy over... and that all your lights work. They may well not look far beyond that...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 02-28-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook