SailNet Community - View Single Post - First post, big questions
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
I don't want to rain on your parade but I'm going to take a different tack in my response. I recommend that before you commit to this lifestyle you spend some time doing it - perhaps charter for a few weeks to the Bahamas - something like that. You can probably find a private charter in Florida for a very reasonable price these days - maybe even work out some kind of application of the charter fee towards purchasing the boat later. Boats are a VERY tough sell these days.

Living on a small boat for an extended period is different than it appears to starry eyes. It's similar in some ways to living on an island - the romance fades quite a bit after a few trips in the dinghy in the rain to do your laundry or get some groceries.

Don't get me wrong, MANY people love it and live their lives that way but it is different than it appears in ones dreams and the realities are not for everyone.

Getting into it requires some serious commitments of time, funds etc. and it's best to know beforehand that this really is what you want rather than finding it out later. There is a reason why some crossroads ports are known for having cheap cruising boats available - Gibralter, Panama, Hawaiii have long standing reps as places where dreams come crashing down and people fly home.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook