SailNet Community - View Single Post - Seamanship fail (Or how things add up)
View Single Post
Old 02-29-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
The theoretical hull speed of a Catalina 25' with only the jib up in winds around 20 kts. is what? About 4 - 5 knots?...
The theoretical hull speed for a Catalina 25' with both sails up should be somewhere around 6.5 knots, which is slightly faster then my 27 footer which has a slightly smaller LWL then the C25....
One point: theoretical hull speed is just the speed at which the wavelength of the wave (bow wave) produced by the hull is the same as the LWL of the hull. The attached pic is of a Catalina 25 is at, or just shy of, hull speed (note the bow wave). It doesn't matter if you have zero, one, two, or more sails up; hull speed is hull speed. Given enough wind a Catalina 25 could be pushed to or slightly beyond hull speed with just the jib up.

Could a Catalina 25 go much faster than hull speed? Maybe, in short spurts. (OK, that's two points.) They aren't very heavy boats, and the bottom is fairly flattish. But I think that you're right about the current. I can't see a Cat25 keeping up that sort of speed for any length of time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cat25.jpg (34.1 KB, 15 views)
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt

Last edited by SlowButSteady; 02-29-2012 at 12:49 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook